Thursday, June 16, 2011

12w - Appointment

We had our much anticipated appointment with a midwife today.  Jake got home at 2:30 or 2:40, so we were a little late for our appointment.  Since we were late, we didn't have to wait long.

Probably the biggest surprise of the appointment was that I didn't really gain weight since the last one!!  At the last appointment, I think I was 101.2 and at this one I was 101.6.  This is... amazing.  I think when I was pregnant with Lila, I weighed ~113 at my 12-week appointment.  It probably helps a lot that I'm still nursing... because I eat a TON of food.  And I'm chasing after Lila all day.

We met with a newly-hired midwife named Sandy.  We were interested to see what she was like (we were randomly assigned to her), because on a flyer in the waiting room it said that one of the things she specializes and is interested in is lesbian healthcare, lol.  She was really, really nice.  Very personable and interested in my pregnancy.  Asked a lot of questions, was warm and kind.  Much more so than any of the other midwives we've seen at Bronson before.  Maybe it's because she's new there, I don't know.  But I think we'll try to have as many appointments as we can with her.  She also has a daughter named Lila, too. :)

Lila was at the appointment with us, by the way.  She did great.  I thought she might be scared of the exam room, but she did just fine.

They did a breast and pelvic exam and a PAP smear.  She said my uterus feels just the size that it should be, like a large grapefruit.  She told me to eat more red meat (steaks, hamburgers, etc) because my iron is on the low end of normal.  I told her I can definitely do that :)

She found the heartbeat almost right away.  I was feeling pretty good and confident about finding it, because my belly has grown this week.  It was strong and beautiful.  In the 160's.  We heard it for a little while, but then the baby moved and it went away.  So, there really is a baby in there!  Woohoo!

I've been feeling a lot better.  Can't believe the first trimester is almost over.  (I think it ends the 13th or 14th week?  Something like that.)  I definitely have more energy and am not nearly as cranky and depressed as I was.  I wasn't having very loving or happy feelings towards Lila for a few weeks there, but now I just adore her all day long.  I'm always saying to Jake, "Isn't she beautiful?  She has to be the prettiest little girl in the world."  And I spend much of my day just sitting and playing and being with her.  I'm a lot happier than I was.  So, that's great.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, that's nice. People put "interested in lesbian healthcare" on a brochure these days? Wow. I'm glad you like her. And that you like Lila. I wish we were going to get to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are pregnant!!!! That is so exciting! Glad you are feeling good too.

    ReplyDelete