Friday, October 14, 2011

Monday & Tuesday: Playdates & Real Dates

On Monday afternoon we headed to Alicia's to play with Briggy and Kiki (what she calls Quay).  The kids had a good time and we had a good visit.  You can tell that Brig is a boy and Lila is a girl, though.  He tries to rough-house with her a little bit and she doesn't like it at all.  She got beat up a little bit, but I think it's good for her.  Alicia's great.  I really like her.  She told me more about GD and also about Sam's Club.  I'm thinking about getting a membership there.  Now that Lila's eating/snacking all the time, I think it'd be worth it.  Especially with another baby coming along.

We went for a walk after dinner with Daddy and took Toby/Brody.  Terie was appreciative because she had to write a paper for her master's program.  She's going to watch Lila the night we have our Halloween Party, which is great.  We're grateful to have them as neighbors.

On Tuesday, I had a Primary meeting in the morning.  We met as a new presidency and cleaned the toys in the Nursery.  Lila had a lot of fun splashing in the water with Tessa Fowler.  Tessa was SOAKED; Lila played gently with the water.  She's a very careful/cautious girl.  Lila took a good nap and then we went for a walk with Kate and George.  I like her a lot too.  We talked a lot about breastfeeding and being stay-at-home-moms.  The usual.  She's VERY passionate about both of those things.  It's interesting.  I take having a supportive husband for granted, and having a network of awesome women/mothers at church.  Frank doesn't quite see the full value in her staying at home with their kids, and her family isn't as excited about it either.  So she really has to fight for it.

I have been so grateful lately that I can be a stay-at-home-mom.  I just cannot imagine leaving Lila with someone else.  Jake and I were talking about it on our date last night (we dropped Lila off at Holly's and went to the Crow's Nest for dinner--so good!).  He said that he cannot imagine teaching Lila everything she needs to know in the few short hours he has with her every day, and if I was working out of the home too, I feel like our influence in her life would be so small.  It breaks my heart just to think about it.  As crazy as it is sometimes being a mom, I love it so much.  I love being here for my daughter every day and I love investing all that I have in her.  It's the greatest gift I could give her and it's the greatest blessing I could ever have in my whole life.  I know it's what I'm supposed to be doing.

So, our date night was amazing!  We're so glad that Alicia came up with this babysitting swap idea.  I think especially once we have 2 kids (and 3, and 4), a regular date night will be what saves me from going crazy!  We dropped Lila off at 6:30 and drove down Westnedge, not sure where we were going to eat.  I suggested The Crow's Nest, and we both really loved it.  I've been there several times, but Jake never has, and he says it's our new "place."  It was just nice to sit and talk for an hour without any interruptions.  He talked about work, we talked about family and Lila.  Something he's been trying to do better at lately is talk to his mom more.  He doesn't really talk to his mom a whole lot, maybe once a month if even.  So he's been trying to call her more this week.  Dad is now working in Illinois, so they only get to see each other on the weekends.  Jake and I wonder why his mom doesn't move down to be with him.  She's working at the high school up there, but she has a nursing degree and could get a job anywhere.  It's just a lot different than how we would do things.  Dan is living with them in Ironwood... but he's having a lot of problems, so maybe she wants to be there for him.  We're just kind of bummed that she doesn't spend more time visiting us and her grandkids... Jake and I want to be involved (to a healthy degree) in our grandkids' lives and our adult children's lives too. Anyway, it was just so fun and good to be out together.  After an hour of dinner we decided to just head back to pick Lila up, but stopped to make out for a few minutes in the KUB parking lot, lol.  It's funny to think that we used to make out for hours when we were dating, but now it's just a few minutes and we're good and done.  Visited at Holly's with her and Dan for a little while before leaving.  Lila did great, no crying, had a blast playing with her friends. :)  I was happy to hear that.

No comments:

Post a Comment