Monday, August 1, 2011

Our Weekend

Ok, I was a little dramatic the last time I posted and wrote about Jake.  Being super tired and not having seen him in 2 days, I suppose that was to be expected.  But as soon as he got home, all those feelings melted away and we had a really enjoyable and happy weekend together.  He is an awesome, supportive dad and husband and I was just bitter that I had to go it alone for a few days while he was rightfully busy with work and church.  He asked me what was bothering me, and I was too embarrassed to tell him because he just doesn't deserve any chastisement.  Right now, anyway.  When he got home and we were sitting on the couch together, he told me that he thinks that my job is amazing--that I get to be with Lila and that she is a product of my hard work and diligence.  He had finished a project at work that day and sent it off to a client.  And though it was a fairly big accomplishment, he felt kind of "empty," like, "Who cares that I just made a elearning module?  Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?"  And so we talked about how yes, it does matter because his job supports our family, and he is fulfilling the role that Heavenly Father wants for him.  Anyway.  Good reminder for both of us that we are both working hard for our family.

Friday night, Jake took me (and Lila) out on a date.  We ate at Culver's (I just love that place) and then took Lila to the park.  Thankfully, that night she slept amazingly for the first time all week.  From 10pm-5am, and then she was up several times but mostly slept till 10am.  Yay.  We went grocery shopping in the afternoon and then went to Maestro's summer party.  It was at Doug's house, a pool party.  It was a lot of fun!  Really hot though.  The first half wasn't as fun because Lila was pretty crabby and clingy.  Jake had a blast though, jumping, diving, flipping into the pool and splashing around.  He's just like a little kid.  Lila didn't really show interest in swimming and didn't want to go in.  But after dinner, she went in and loved it!  I think it helped that there were so many other kids (and babies/toddlers) in the pool having fun.  Jake put her in a floaty thing that she could sit in and she seriously had a blast.  It was so much fun to watch.  I don't have a swimsuit that fits and didn't have a chance to buy a maternity suit, so I didn't go in.  Lila was blabbing and laughing the whole time.  I'm so happy that she had fun, like a normal kid :)

There was a canon ball contest, and Jake did pretty well, even though the other guys are a LOT bigger (fatter) than he is.  I had a nice time visiting with the other wives and Jen Randall (his boss).

Lila slept horribly Saturday night, unfortunately.  Was up a lot and apparently didn't feel well.  And I had a horrible time sleeping as it was, because I was nervous about giving my talk the next morning.  Jake was asked to speak on "establishing a Christ-centered home" and I was asked to speak on "the sabbath and the sacrament."  We stayed up late on Saturday night to prepare, after Lila had gone to bed.  It was nice having that time together, and visiting and joking about stuff.

Sunday morning, our talks went well.  Lila had a bad day though.  We had to wake her up and she was very angry and sad and tired.  She didn't do well through sacrament meeting.  So Jake and I, while the other was talking, had to be out in the foyer with her.  Our talks did go well.  The youth speaker was at scout camp (lol) so Jake and I were the only speakers, but that worked out well because we both went a tiny bit over.  Jake spoke first, which surprised us.  Went well.  He choked up at the end of his talk, when he said that our goal as parents is to raise adults who will desire eternal life and who will someday find eternal mates of their own.  He hates it when he chokes up.

Primary went well, too.  Jake was a substitute teacher for the 5 and 6 year olds.  He took Lila with him to class, and she stood on the table behind him and drew on the chalkboard most of the time :)  It was so cute, she was really happy.

She didn't take a good nap when we got home and then cried inconsolably for an hour after she woke up.  That was fun.  But after lunch, we took her outside and Brody and Toby were out, which of course made her happy.  Then we took her for a bike ride.  And then Jake grilled steaks and we had dinner.  Emily came over to eat with us.  Lila ate well, for the first time in a while.  (Except for when she scarfed down zucchini bread after she went swimming at the party.)  She ate some steak and ate a whole plate of baked beans and let us spoon feed her mashed potatoes.  That last part was a lot of fun for me, because I never got to feed her when she was a baby :)


She had another decent night of sleep last night, and as a result, I did too!  I'm grateful.  Jake and I got to spend time together before we went to bed, also nice... all last week and maybe the week before that, she wasn't going to bed till 10 or 11.  I've been feeling the baby more and more and I even think I felt some kicks on the outside last night.  It's fun.  I didn't feel movement until much later with Lila.

Today we're laying low.  Hopefully getting Lila back into her schedule.  She slept till 8:40, which was awesome, and she went down for a nap at around 1, also awesome.  We spent the morning taking showers/baths, cleaning up a nasty poopy diaper, reading books, playing out in the driveway and going for a walk, and then having a good lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment